Monday, January 18, 2010

Graduating—finally



This past Saturday was the day which I was waiting for so long, I should say since 5th of November, 2007. It was the day when my university life begun, I joined Hailey College of Commerce to convert my 2 years B.Com degree to 4 years B.Com (hons) degree back in 2007. I could still remember the first time I was there my feelings, that deeeeeep breath, to get familiar with air, when I entered Punjab university Quaid e Azam Campus, I still remember the moment I entered the building of Hailey college and the verse of a famous song popped in my mind;

اس انجمن میں آپکو اناہے بار بار
دیوار و در کو غور سے پہچان لیجئے

You are supposed to come to this place again and again so get familiar with surroundings


These two years have been most on the move years of my life, I have seen all kind of grads in my exams, except F and thank God for it, so many twist and turns make me what I am today when I got to know the rules of university kingdom and be able to rule the place my time was over.

Now let me come the real topic of this post; the graduation ceremony for B-Com (HONS) session 2005-2009 (I joined this train in 2007 availing an opportunity) of HAILEY COLLEGE COMMERCE UNIVERSITY OF PUNJAB. The even was to be held in the campus, on 16th of January 2010 and I got the news of this event from a friend who is now doing masters from same institute and when I gave this news to my gang, they all make fun of it that how it is possible, may be the reason of their attitude is the fact that it was for the first time in the 83 years history of Hailey college of commerce graduation ceremony was going to take place.

Soon this news become a jungle fire and all thanks to the SMS campaign I thing I got almost 25 text messages from different friends having the same news, and some of them where authentic people to broadcast such news. Well I never knew that the news about this even also published in news paper (I got this paper cutting last night from ilm ki dunia) The rules were must to be followed but I was enjoying these rules, there is no charm in graduation ceremony with out gown and cap, that’s what I think opinion of my friends, might be different. The gown and cap was available at the spot on rent but there was a long and undisciplined queue, as if there was sugar being distributed, I took almost an hour for me to get the gown and when I entered the Pindaal (tent) the program was already started, as per the text message of my friend national anthem made him emotional so I think the anthem was the official beginning of the event, reciting of Holly Quran was being done by a student when I entered the tent, Hamd and Naat were the next to come(I am sorry I don’t remember the names of the people who were doing these jobs all thanks to the sound system and the last row where I was sitting), I remember the name of two hosts out of four one of them was Asim- I really like this guy humble and honest and focused on his goal, I have worked with him in Hailey Commerce Club where he was the in-charge of SMS sending department and he was also with us in NASCON tour representing Economic plan team, and other was Miss. Naila (that’s what I figured out if its wrong than I am sorry). Some of the Former Principals were the chief guests- Mr. M.A. Ghani (yes the same man whose book is a part of our accounting course in I COM and B.Com), Mr. Azher Ikram, Mr. Jaffri and Mr. Chaudhri Nazir Ahmad. Presence of Mr. M.A. Ghanni was a surprise as we never saw him before and how can I miss the moment when students gave standing evasion to immediate former principal MR. Ch. Nazir Ahmad when he was called on stage.

Miss Wajiha made a speech representing our juniors and tried to express the feelings of our juniors for us which I am not ready to accept as truth ;). The best part was the speech of Dr. Laiaqat Ali, the Dean of commerce Punjab university and Principal Hailey College of Commerce, keeping all the contradiction I have with him apart I must say that he have worked a lot to revive the glory which HCC used to have, and one more think I love his accent of speaking in English, many of say “Dr. sab Punjabi me English bolty hain” but his style is very cute because I think its original. I am not an expert to review the speech of my principal but it was an honest speech in which he said that the best time he spent in HCC was when he was a factuality member, while addressing the ex-principals he said, “i am proud to be your student”, and while addressing to us he spoke an ultimate truth which I was not expecting as he said; “I know that you all hate me”, well what he said next to this line is the thing which he have to realize, the decisions he made were the need of hour and somehow they were in our favor but we being a human don’t accept things in time (even I am a victim of 1K fine). Dr sab also recited the poem Khuda Kare k meri arze pak….

After that medallions were distributed among the position holders:

In Accounting Specialization:

Muhammad Asif Khan (MAK) – but we call him Gujni stood third, Tajamul Sabir (my class mate we were in same section) stood 2nd and Miss. Memona Rana got the Gold Medal.

In Marketing Specialization:

Muhammad Arslan Rana (my cousin and I am so happy for him) stood third, Miss. Quratulain was second and Mr. Ameen (I never saw him in class) stood 1st.

In Finance Specialization:

Miss. Komal Daniel was 3rd, Miss Abiha Kazim was 2nd and Miss. Nahdia Khalid (sorry if spelling the name wrong) got the gold medal and she is also the over all topper of the session. (Congrats to all of them and my best wishes for them).

Prizes were also distributed among the old event organizers. All the professors who have made remarkable achievements in their fields.

After the formal part there was informal parts which have songs poetry skits etc, but the skit Aik Din Hailey k sath was the best, one can think that it was a parody of Aik din Geo k sath. But the best part of the program was the poetry of Khawar Ali, Student of HCC:

وقت کرنے لگا ہے جدا دوستو،
الوعدہ دوستو الوعدہ دوستو ،
من لو کہ دنیا کے دستور ہیں،
پاس میرے ہیں آج اور کل دور ہیں،
وقت پلٹتا نہیں جو گیا دوستو،
یاد رکھیں گے تم کو صدا دوستو،
پھول کھلتے ہہیں کھل کر بکھر جاتے ہیں،
دوست ملتے ہیں مل کر بچیڑھ جاتے ہیں،
کون رہتا ہے یہاں صدا دوستو،
الوعدہ دوستو الوعدہ دوستو ،
دل سے اپنے تمہیں نکالوں تو کیوں،
نفرتوں کی بات اچھالوں تو کیوں،
دے نہیں سکتا تم کو دغا دوستو،
میری جان بھی تم پر فدا دوستو،
الوعدہ دوستو الوعدہ دوستو ،
یوں تو جتنے بھی دیں ہم اکٹھے رہے،
چند الفاظ ہم نے برے بھی کہے،
آج تم سے یہ بھی کہتا ہوں دوستو،
یاد آو گے بچھرہو گے جب دوستو،
الوعدہ دوستو الوعدہ دوستو ،
جاتے جاتے میری ایک بات سنو،
مسکراتے رہو تم جہاں بھی رہو،
دل یہ دیتا ہے تم کو دوا دوستو،
کچھ نہیں پاس اس کے سوا دوستو،
الوعدہ دوستو الوعدہ دوستو ،
وقت کرنے لگا ہے جدا دوستو،
الوعدہ دوستو الوعدہ دوستو

These lines made me emotional, though I never wanted to. Soon Prof Aamir announced that its time for lunch and the best part was the lunch was served to us where we were sitting, I thanked God for this as I hate to be in a war for meal at such gathering. After the lunch there was a session of Group Photos, here I want to apologies to my friend Adnan and he know that why I am saying that. Soon after tossing the graduate cap in the air and removing the gown I left the campus for another event.

In the end I would like to congratulate all the graduates and wish them luck in coming life. And many congrads and thumbs up to Zaid Hassan and EMC of Hailey college and every one who were there to arrange such a memorable event.

5 comments: