Tuesday, December 22, 2009

We are Green and White


Some four months back a very strange and shame full thing happened in the town of Gojra, near Faisalabad. More or less 8 people were killed and several houses were put on fire, what was the reason for all this? The only answer I can give is the discrimination among humans because of religion. Yes those Pakistanis were Christian who were killed in the name of Islam. Neither Christianity nor Islam teaches, what was practiced at that time. Now I don't want to write on it as it's already late as I can remember I wrote about Pakistani Flag in those days but I forgot to write about the white factor of our flag which completes the flag. Yes I regret on being so ignorant.

This past Sunday, on 20th December an event was arranged, “We are Green and White” it was a collaboration of PYR and Green and White. The event was arranged to celebrate Quaid's Birthday with the flavor of Christmass, some people from the Christian community were also there. I think 25th December for a Christian Pakistani has a double importance, around 2009 years back a Great Man born who gave them a path and way to lead life, and about 133 years back another historical figure born who gave this piece of land called Pakistan.

Event started after 4 pm, after national anthem, Amna Usmani opened the floor for the speeches and rest of the activities of the event. There was a welcome speech by Farhan Massood representing Green (Muslim Pakistanis) and Abel Naeem (White Pakistanis). I must say that The passion impressed me of Farhan bhai as he arrived at the event direct from Melbourne and at the time of speech he was suffering from jet lag. Mudassir, the man behind Message Trust, also made a speech about the message trust and need of such activities.

Major (rtd) Michael Ditta made a speech in which he let us know his experience in school how he has to face discrimination and how his Head Master became his childhood hero being a Sufi and his first mentor. He also mentioned some historical events when Christens helped Muslims and the part of history when Muslims were the Defenders and Saviors of Christians. As the speech ended Farhan Bhai came up the stage and gave a hug to Mr. Michael to show the unity. Soban Akram of PYR made a speech on Patriotism with a Muslim prospective and Miss Ruth Griffin gave her opinion on the same topic. Soban mentioned the current hard time and situation of country as a “swimmers' Dive”, as a swimmer has to go a bit deep down in water, after the dive, and eventually rise again to start the journey this country has come to the point when the diver has to rise again. Miss. Griffin said. “Patriotism come form within, not from flag or the position”.

Mr. Zaeem, Director of Rozee.pk, Mr. Awais Anjum from PTI and Mr. Iftikhar Shah, Chairman Department of Computer Sciences F.C. College Lahore; were also among the guest speakers and they made some valid points such as Mr. Zaeem said, “internet is a great equalizer”, and he also said, “in our country the biggest minority is women”. The speech of Mr. Awais having Political flavor did not go with the event much. Mr. Iftikhar Shah, I must say, is a good speaker as the way he carried the point of Mr. Zaeem about Baluchistan and Rights of Christian community was great, and it was good to see the coordination rather than contradiction among the speakers. I really liked the speech of Mr. Shah may be the reason that I always like to listen to the teachers.

Mr. Jahanzaib Khan, the president of PYR, also came to the stage to make a speech but he proved what he says, “I am a shy person”. He did not take much time and after a “really” short speech he left the rostrum, but the presentation made by him spoke a thousand words and showed a perspective of a patriot. Mr. Imran Bokhari from PYR and Mr. Rohan David (the leading figure of Green and White) spoke on the topic of brotherhood. I later come to know that Imran is the son of Mr. Iftikhar shah, I can only say “like father like son”.

The stars of message trust shine again on this event as they did on 9th November on their home ground. They presented short play about the life of Quaid-e-Azam and Fatima Jinnah, a tablo on a national song “Ae Quaid Tera Ehsan”, two kids presented some of the quotations of Quaid, but to me the star among the star was the little kid who made a speech on the current situation, and the main topic of the evening “green and white”. This is second time These kids impressed me and I maintain that they really got some great potential and need opportunities.
The special video of last event of PYR “Eid at Fountain house” was also shown, for the editing of the video hats off to Amna Usmani. Mr. Shoaib Arif Butt recited his poem "Go Green and White". At the end of event a unity cake was cut by Mr. Jahanzeb and Mr. Rohan. I think that I have written almost every thing about the even, and if I have missed some thing I expect to be forgiven keeping my bad memory in focus.

Now come to from where I started this blog post. I was not attending this event just for being a part of PYR. I was there mainly to satisfy myself for regretting and feeling sad what happened in Gojrah. I am shameful on the incident more than any one else for the fact that some of my routs are there in Gojrah. The native village of my maternal Grand Mother is there in Gojrah. I don't know what else I can write.

No comments:

Post a Comment